The Importance of Stricter Gun Control Laws

Back to Article
Back to Article

Emmanuel, Contributor

Last year according to abc15, there were more than 340 mass shootings including the infamous Stoneman Douglas High School shooting which saw the death of over 17 students and staff members and injury of 14 more. Gun Control could of prevented this tragedy as well as the other 339 mass shootings that occured last year. Gun Control is something that needs to be put in place right now in order to prevent more tragedies from occurring and more lives being lost. According to USA Today, Nikolas Cruz, the Stoneman Douglas High School shooter bought the gun he used in the shooting (an AR-15 style) legally. Nikolas Cruz managed to buy this gun legally thanks to a federal law that exists that allows people 18 and older who pass a background check to legally purchase long guns including the AR-15 style gun. Nikolas Cruz although did pass the background check needed in order to buy the AR-15 style, should have never had access to a gun since he is in fact mentally ill. In fact, in my opinion any person that is mentally ill shouldn’t have access to a gun at all regardless of whether they pass their background check or not. According to the Los Angeles Times, at least 59% of mall shootings that happened between 1900-2017 involved shooters who were at one point diagnosed as mentally ill or had shown signs of being mentally ill prior to their attack. What this means is that there is in fact a clear correlation between mental disorders and mass shootings. With this in mind, I feel that there should be stricter gun control laws in place as well as more attention to people with mental health disorders. This a great solution nevertheless but let’s keep in mind that having stricter gun control laws can break the second amendment right granted to all U.S. citizens. The second amendment as it states provides U.S. citizens the right to bear arms (weapons). According to the Washington Post, 3 million Americans carry loaded handguns with them everyday mainly for protection. With this in mind, we must understand that if we even consider implementing stricter gun control laws, we may be taking away the second amendment right for some Americans but in my opinion it’s the only way we can move forward as America has seen enough shootings, enough live losts, and enough tragedies over the past decades. Adding stricter control laws is a must at this point in time.