The Student News Site of Adams City High School

Eagle Eye

Filed under Opinion

M.O.A.B. Bombing In Afghanistan

Source:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/austrian_lancer/4725511183

April 13, 2017, the United States dropped the Mother of All Bombs or M.O.A.B for short. The official title of the bomb is the GBU-43B and weighs 21,000 pounds. The GBU-43B is the most destructive bomb in the United States arsenal other than our Nuclear weapons. This massively destructive bomb was deployed to Nangarhar Province close to Afghanistan to be armed and fired at ISIS targets in Afghanistan. Fox news states, “It was first tested in 2003, but hadn’t been used in combat before Thursday.” (Tomlinson, April 13, 2017, US drops largest non-nuclear bomb in Afghanistan after Green Beret killed, 3). White House press secretary Sean Spicer said later Thursday, “The United States takes the fight against ISIS very seriously and in order to defeat the group we must deny them operational space, which we did,” (Starr, Browne, April 14, 2017, first on CNN: US drops largest non-nuclear bomb in Afghanistan, 4) according to CNN. Taken the situation in the war against ISIS this was the right call to act like this as it not only sends a political message but a tactical message telling ISIS and any forces such as ISIL that the United States of America is not to be tampered with and we will use all we have in our reach to destroy and defeat our foes. The bomb was allegedly an attack to gain revenge for the death of a Green Beret, but one source states, “The strike came just days after a Green Beret was killed fighting ISIS in Nangarhar, however, a U.S. defense official told Fox News the bombing had nothing to do with that casualty.” (Tomlinson, April 13, 2017, US drops largest non-nuclear bomb in Afghanistan after Green Beret killed, 14). This bombing on ISIS targets is a message and the United States made that message very clear. We are not going to roll over and let you kill innocents and we will do anything and everything in our power to prove that point. This story is no longer developing as statements have already been made and effects from the bombing have already been dealt.